MSc Degree Programme:
Fire safety is an essential feature of any building or industrial plant during its lifetime. The application of engineering principles to meet design objectives is the worldwide trend in the performance-based design approach.
The three IMFSE full partners build upon their excellence in research and experience with existing educational programmes in fire Safety Engineering to deliver this unique programme. The mobility scheme allows you to spend a semester in each of the three full institutes or three affiliated institutes.
The "International Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering" degree is a joint engineering degree signed by all three full partner universities and three affiliated universities, regardless of your mobility track. By your graduation, you have the bonus of international experience which is a highly regarded asset in the professional world.
To find out more visit the IMFSE website.
Students can choose to study at either Ghent or Edinburgh.
- Fire Dynamics
- Basics of Structural Engineering
- Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer
And 9 ECTS credits from the following elective courses (subject to approval by the faculty):
- FSE Based Firefighting (3 credits)
- Modelling of Turbulence and Combustion (3 credits)
- Turbomachines (6 credits)
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship (3 credits)
The University of Edinburgh:
- Fire Science and Fire Dynamics
- Fire Safety Engineering
- Fire Safety, Engineering and Society
- Engineering Project Management
- Advanced Fire Dynamics
- Human Behaviour in Fire
- Risk Assessment
- Simulation of Fires in Enclosures
Students choose to study at either Ghent or Edinburgh.
- Active Fire Protection I: Detection and Suppression
- Active Fire Protection II: Smoke and Heat Control
- Explosions and Industrial Fire Safety
- Fire Safety Regulation
- Passive Fire Protection
- Performance-Based Design
The University of Edinburgh:
- Fire Science Laboratory
- Structural Design for Fire
- Fire Investigation and Failure Analysis
- Finite Element Analysis for Solids
The masters thesis can be completed at one of the three full partners universities, or at one of the three associated partners. The thesis work is supervised by at least one of the full partner universities.
Funding and Finance:
For detailed information on the fees, please visit IMFSE Tuition Fees and IMFSE Financial Information. Further information about scholarships and tuition fee reductions available for this programme can be found at IMFSE Scholarships.
Before travelling to Europe, prospective students should make sure that they have sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses. Costs that should be anticipated with studying in Europe include the tuition fee, accommodation and daily expenses.
Find out more about our International Masters in Fire Safety Engineering from this video interview with our 2015 Graduates:
- Prof. Grunde Jomaas, The University of Edinburgh - UK
- Prof. Luke Bisby, The University of Edinburgh - UK
- Patrick Van Hees, Lund University - Sweden
- Prof. Bart Merci, Ghent University - Belgium
- Prof. José Torero, The University of Queensland - Australia
- Prof. Mario Fontana, ETH Zurich - Switzerland
- Prof. Arnaud Trouvé, The University of Maryland - USA
We aim to train the next generation of leaders in this field; there is currently great demand for fire safety engineering graduates worldwide and graduates have gained relevant employment or enhanced career opportunities.
A fire safety engineer fulfills a broad range of duties, in various ways related to fire. This can range from designing fire protection for a space station, to protecting treasures such as the US Constitution, to safely securing the occupants of a high-rise building from fire hazards.
Fire safety engineers are in great demand by corporations, educational institutions, consulting firms, and government bodies around the world. You may find career opportunities in the following industries:
- consulting engineering firms
- fire departments
- fire equipment and systems manufacturers
- hospitals and health care facilities
- insurance industry
- research and testing laboratories
- educational institutions
- entertainment industry
- forensic investigations