Date and Location: Thursday, 27 April 2017 at John McIntyre Conference Centre, Pollock Halls of Residence
This year we had a very successful School Research Conference with around 72 poster presentations and demonstrations from Research Institutes. See below for this year
The School Research Conference is an excellent platform to enthuse and excite the wider audience in your research. It also is a compulsory progression point for our PhD students. Events include:
- Poster presentation (open to all, compulsory for 2nd Year PhD students) and 2 min poster pitch (compulsory for 2nd year PhD students only)
- Tabletop research demonstrations from our Research Institutes
- Keynote talks by inspirational and eminent speakers
Information for 2nd Year Students
All 2nd year PhD students are required to present a poster and give a short 2 minute presentation at the School conference. This is a compulsory part of your PhD training.
- The 2 minute presentation is a fun and rapid exercise in effective communication. Your aim is to effectively communicate your research topic to the general audience, so that you catch their attention and they will come to talk to you about your poster.
- Poster presentations are common at research conferences. They are an effective format for displaying your research, but also provide a discussion point that you use when you talk about your work.
The School runs two courses in preparation for the conference, which you are expected to attend.
- 7 March 2017 - Writing and Designing Your Academic Poster (School of Engineering)
- 19 April 2017 - Presentation Skills Workshop (School of Engineering)
Please keep these dates free; booking will open one month before the course.
Anyone can bring a Research Poster
Anyone who wants to share their research with the rest of the School is invited to bring a poster to the conference. This is a chance to share your research from undergraduate thesis projects, or work that might have been presented internationally, but is not known to the rest of the School.
These posters will be displayed without the 2-minute oral presentation. See here for special conditions.
Research Institute Demonstrations
Each of the Research Institutes will this year have a demonstration space, and you are invited to bring along hands-on demonstrations of research. These demonstrations are being organised by the Research Institute representatives on SPEC, and there will be a prize for the best demonstration.
We have planned an exciting array of talks on the day by the following inspirational and eminent Keynote Speakers:
- Professor Stephen Wilson, Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, Mathematics and Statistics. University of Strathclyde
- Susanne Lee, GE Global Research / Inspection Technologies.
- Professor Grunde Jomaas, BRE Chair of Fire Safety Engineering, School of Engineering.
Several prizes will be on offer at the 2017 conference:
- Best 2-minute presentation - NEW FOR 2017!!
- Best 2nd year poster (according to the academic panel)
- Best 2nd year poster (by popular vote)
- Best Research Institute Demonstration
- Tutor / demonstrator prizes - NEW FOR 2017!!
2017 Prize Winners and Book of Posters
Over 72 students presented posters in the 2016 School Research Conference. Over 200 members fo the School and external guests attended.
- Best 2-minute presentation: Eli Kinney-Lang (IDCOM), "Snapshots in development: using tensor analysis to extract metrics from children for brain-computer interface rehabilitation"
- 2017 Best Poster Popular Award Winner: Nimrah Munir (IBioE), "Cartilage tissue engineering: bioactive multizone scaffolds for cartilage regeneration"
- 2017 Best Poster Academy Award Winner: Margaret Normand (IMNS), "Liquid crystal lasers"
- 2017 Best Tutor and Demonstrators Award (on the basis of EUSA Teaching Award nominations): Anna Garcia Teruel (Mechanical Engineering), Jagadeesh Gunda (Electronics and Electrical Engineering), Simon Santamaria Garcia (Mechanical Engineering), Stefan Pantaleev (Civil and Environmental Engineering), Thomas Sptiz (Mechanical Engineering), Zeynep Karatza (Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- 2017 Best Research Institute Table-Top Demonstration Award: Institute for Integrated Micro and Nano Systems
- Book of Posters