All of our on-campus teaching activities are being carried out in line with Scottish government guidance.
To help limit the spread of Covid-19, please make use of the following measures which have been provided for the health and safety of our students, staff and the wider Edinburgh community.
Access to Engineering buildings:
Please only enter a building where you have a scheduled activity. Please do not come to campus if you have any Covid-19 symptoms, feel unwell or have been asked to self-isolate.
Access to spaces within our buildings is being carefully controlled, due to social distancing measures (of 2 metres). We need to ensure that we don’t exceed our maximum building occupancy levels, which take into account scheduled classes, as well as other users.
- Detailed signage is provided to help you navigate around buildings, find hand washing and sanitising stations, and other facilities such as toilets.
- Please use the designated entrances and exits for buildings, which may be different to those you are familiar with (see a link to maps below).
- On entry to, and prior to exit from, a building please either thoroughly wash your hands or use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Movement between linked buildings must be avoided. A building must only be entered using its designed entry and exit points.
- When moving around each building one-way and two-way systems are in place. These are indicated by frequent signage throughout each building, which must be adhered to.
- In some areas, movement is allowed in both directions. If this is the case, it will be indicated by the signage and you must always follow the instructions given in these areas.
- Anyone with a disability can travel against the flow indicated by the signage. Lifts should not be used, except if you have a disability. Please remember that not all disabilities are visible.
- External queueing zones for access to teaching spaces are in place for the Sanderson, Fleeming Jenkin, Alrick and Hudson Beare buildings. These queues will be managed by queue handlers to minimise overlap between groups being taught.
More detailed information, including building plans and the locations of building entry and exit points is provided on the ETO Hub here (University login required).
Other safety measures:
- Hand sanitiser stations are located at each entry and exit point, and hand-washing facilities are signposted in each building. Please make sure you wash your hands regularly or use hand sanitiser before and after touching surfaces and using equipment.
- University cleaners are attending the building more frequently and are regularly cleaning common touchpoints including door handles, hand rails and lifts throughout the common areas of the buildings.
- Teaching spaces will be thoroughly cleaned, early in the morning and again during the lunch break.
- Cleaning agent and paper towels will be available in every teaching space for students and staff to clean down the area they have been using at the end of each session.
- Perspex screens will be provided on the lecturer’s podiums to provide additional assurances to both staff and students.
- Windows and doors (where not fire doors) will be opened to increase natural ventilation, where appropriate. Students are therefore advised to bring an extra layer of clothing with them.