Study space and catering [Updated - 20 November]

University study space

Study spaces are provided by the University for students on campus. These spaces are subject to maximum capacity limits to ensure that safety measures and social distancing are maintained.

The University has published information on how you can find, book and use study spaces across its campuses, using its SeatEd service.  You can find out more information on the Information Services website, including how to download the SeatEd app.

On the King's Buildings campus, study spaces are available in:

  • Murchison House;
  • James Clerk Maxwell Building (JCMB); and
  • Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library (Murray Library).

You can find out more about accessing the University's library spaces and facilities on the Library website.

School study space

The School of Engineering provides bookable study spaces within the classrooms in the Hudson Beare Building.  More information, including how to access the School’s study space booking system, can be found on the ETO Hub.

Please note: Some of the laboratories which would normally be available have been converted for use as hybrid teaching spaces.  Access to other space within our buildings is carefully controlled to ensure that we don’t exceed our maximum building occupancy levels while running scheduled classes and research work.


A Spiegeltent is situated on the King’s Buildings campus, opposite the Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library to enable students to meet for socialising and studying safely between classes.  

Many of the University catering facilities are open on the King's Buildings and Central campuses, including both sit-in and takeaway services.  Further information can be found on the ETO Hub.