Before you Apply
Before applying for a PhD in Engineering you should:
- Identify a possible academic supervisor working in the area that you would like to carry out research. You can find information on our academic staff on our research web pages, or view our list of PhD Opportunities.
- Check that you meet the entry requirements and that you have degree certificates and transcripts for your application.
- Established how you will fund your PhD: Funding and Scholarships
To apply for a PhD you will need the following documents:
- Degree certificates, transcripts, and evidence of meeting our English language requirements (as appropriate).
- Two references on official letterheads, with signatures.
- A Research Proposal, which should be in your words even if your are applying an advertised project. This helps evaluate your writing skills and research ideas. It can help with both assessing your suitability for a research degree and whether we can offer supervision. It should be no more than 2 A4 pages.
Potential students in all of our engineering disciplines and all of our research institutes should apply for our PhD in Engineering programme. Apply here using the University's online application system.