The School of Engineering offers several PhD studentships and scholarships for excellent students. These are competitive studentships, with an annual call for applications. The deadlines for our studentships are given below.
Calls for applications for 2020/21 studentships are now open, please see below for details.
Home (UK) Students (also EU citizens with last 3 years of study in UK, permanent residents in UK)
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) awards. Full studentship funding (tuition + living stipend + research costs) or in combination with industry funding. Contact potential academic supervisors to discuss potential projects and to apply for the award. Deadline: 28th Feb 2020
- Carnegie PhD Scholarships. For students who graduate (or are expected to graduate) from a Scottish University with a first class honours degree. Full studentship. Contact a potential academic supervisor to be nominated for the scholarship. Deadline: 28th Jan 2020. More info here.
- Other Home/EU Scholarships
All students (UK, EU and International)
- Principal's Career Development PhD Scholarships. Three full studentships are offered in the School of Engineering, covering tuition fees, stipend and research costs, and providing additional development opportunities. Deadline: 3rd Feb 2020. International students applying for this Scholarship must apply for the Edinburgh Global Scholarships (see below) simultaneously. More information on applying is given here.
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships (covering the difference between home student fees and international fees only). Deadline: 17th Feb 2020. More information on applying is given here.
- China Scholarship Council / University of Edinburgh Scholarships. A full scholarship only applicable to citizens and permanent residents of the People's Republic of China. This scholarship is currently tbc. Expected Deadline: Early Feb 2019.
- Full list (including country-specific) of scholarships
Self or Int/EU Government-Funded
- Period of study (3 to 4 years)
- If arranging funding yourself – recommend to negotiate 3.5 - 4 years of funding (greater than 3 years)
- Any terms and conditions on your funding must be discussed with the funding body and School before accepting your offer.
Funded PhD positions
PhD positions that have other sources of funding (such as industry funding) are advertised within our PhD Opportunities.