The School of Engineering, the King's Buildings, Edinburgh
This one-off event will take place directly before Professor Joe McGeough’s IMechE Presidential Address – an annual lecture which is coming to Scotland for the first time ever, and is also open to all.
The event comprises optional sessions, so you can dip in and out of sessions according to your availability.
13:00-14:00: Lunch sponsored by Babcock International Group (Location: The Eng Inn, Hudson Beare Building, King’s Buildings Campus, EH9 3DW)
14:00-16:00: Opportunities in Mechanical Engineering (Location: Classroom 4, Hudson Beare Building, King’s Buildings Campus, EH9 3DW)
A series of short talks introducing a range of opportunities and career options for mechanical engineers, followed by an opportunity to discuss your questions with the speakers. Participants will include:
- Guest speakers from companies including Max Fordham and Mott MacDonald
- Professor Win Rampen, Chair in Energy Storage at the School of Engineering and founder of Artemis Intelligent Power
- Edinburgh University Formula Student team
- Endeavour Rockets team
16:00-16:30: Tea and coffee break (Location: The Eng Inn, Hudson Beare Building, King’s Buildings Campus, EH9 3DW)
16:30-17:15: Tour of Flowave Ocean Energy Research Facility (Location: Tour starts from the Eng Inn, Hudson Beare Building, and finishes at King’s Buildings House, KB Square.)
Take a behind-the-scenes tour of the School's FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility - a focal point of cutting-edge academic and industry research into wave and tidal current interactions – including a demo of its wave simulations.
17:15-18:15 Informal networking (Location: King’s Buildings House, KB Square, Edinburgh, EH9 3DL)
Why take part?
- Find out more about opportunities in mechanical engineering open to you before and after graduation
- Build your professional network and career prospects by meeting a range of students, academics and industry representatives
- Get the chance to ask your own questions during a Q&A and informal networking sessions in the Eng Inn and KB House
- Go behind the scenes at the FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility and get a close-up view of its wave simulations
Please register by filling in the booking form indicating which sessions you would like to attend. Places are limited, so early booking is advised to avoid disappointment.
If you would also like to attend the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Presidential Address of Professor Joe McGeough, which takes place directly after this event, please RSVP to Louise Farquharson: Louise.Farquharson@ed.ac.uk.