Research at the School of Engineering
The Edinburgh Research Partnership in Engineering, our joint submission with Heriot-Watt University, was ranked 1st in Scotland and 3rd in the UK, based on the quality and breadth of our combined research by Times Higher Education*. 96% of our research activity was ranked as world-leading and internationally excellent.
Read more in our REF 2021 results news article.
* Joint submission rankings are calculated by combining the individual institutions’ results in the same unit of assessment
Latest Research News
Director of Research
Professor Mike Davies
Email address: DoR@eng.ed.ac.uk
Each of the following Research Institutes is a major centre of expertise and between them they span much of modern engineering:
- Institute for Bioengineering (IBioE)
- Institute for Digital Communications (IDCoM)
- Institute for Energy Systems (IES)
- Institute for Infrastructure and Environment (IIE)
- Institute for Integrated Micro and Nano Systems (IMNS)
- Institute for Materials and Processes (IMP)
- Institute for Multiscale Thermofluids (IMT)